The terrain is the totality of biochemical and physiological functioning of an individual over time. It is the hereditary predisposition which defines the individual. The hereditary tendencies are further activated to varying degrees by lifestyle choices.
Disease can be seen simply as an imbalance of terrain. The doctor, therefore, must uncover the path the patient has followed in becoming sick by imbalancing the terrain and how he functions during the state of sickness. Then, through the law of similars and the use of Homeopathic remedies, the patient can reverse this process to recover health. This reversal to recover health is the recovery of the capacity to self-regulate.
Each individual human being is unique and follows his own path. Yet, he shares characteristics with other individuals owing to his terrain.
The terrain must be balanced to restore the capacity to self-regulate and therefore restore health. In addition, Homeopathic remedies can be grouped according to terrain.
The classification of terrain is used in Biotherapeutic DrainageTM to match the totality of the individual with the similar homeopathic remedies. By using the common characteristics of people and matching them to the corresponding characteristics of homeopathic remedies, a homeopathic prescription can be clearly and naturally formulated. This simplifies and takes the guesswork out of the process of choosing similar remedies, so the remedies must have results in balancing the terrain because they were chosen based on terrain.
Using Terrain characteristics is what allows the individualization of a prescription; we may or may not use the same remedies for similar conditions in different patients, according to their individual presentations of that similar condition.
The terrain can be seen in terms of
- Miasm, or reactional mode: the genetic and acquired ability to detoxify on the cellular level
- Syphylitic, or Luetic
- Temperament, or the four humours as classified by Hippocrates and Galen
- Lymphatic, or phlegmatic
- Bilious, or chloretic
- Nervous, or melancholic
- Constitution, or physical nature plus the stand taken when confronted with important life issues
- Carbonic (ordered, horizontal)
- Phosphoric (ordered, vertical)
- Fluoric (disordered, twisted)
- Silicic (cross between phosphoric and fluoric)
- Muriatic (phosphoric on top, carbonic on bottom))
The emphasis is on the person who has the disease, not the disease itself. It is how we start to get a handle on the inner being of the individual, so that it can be re-balanced, and not only tinker with the biochemistry of the person.
Who is this person? What is his ability to detoxify on the cellular level? What detoxification ability was he born with and how has it been compromised during his life? What is the prognosis for treatment? This is his miasm.
How does he interact with his environment? What is the way in which he relates to the world? Is he introverted or extroverted? Is he focused toward sensation or reason, emotion or intellect? And in what proportion and combination are these qualities found? This is his temperament.
What is his physical nature? What shape do the bones of his skeleton take – his stature? What is his posture while moving: walking and dancing? Does he develop the gifts given at birth? And what happens when life confront him with issues such as illness, life and death, power, money, sex, and spirituality and he is forced to make decisions? That is his constitution.
It is useful to diagnose the miasm first. By looking at the patient history, you can gather information from family history, what illness they had and if they were generally better or worse after them, if and what kind of fever can be produced, and how well the patient eliminates.
For example, the Psoric miasm is characterized by functional symptoms with a lack of serious disease in the history:
- A periodically recurring condition, with adverse effects of suppressing an attempt at elimination like eczema and leucorrhea.
- Always a cutaneous manifestation like puritis, bad-smelling secretions
- Tendency to intestinal problems like diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, intestinal parasites
- Respiratory allergies
The Sycotic miasm is characterized by soft tissue symptoms from inefficient eliminations:
- Always a chronic or repeated infectious manifestation
- Hypersensitivity to humidity
- Overflow elimination through the mucosa: rhinopharyngeal, uro-genital, skin, intestines
- Benign tumors and often obesity
- Psychological Traits:
- Obsessive behavior
- Distorted perception of things
- Hyperorganized mentally - Fussy, Checks everything
The Tuberculinic miasm is characterized by soft tissue and bone symptoms from inefficient eliminations and the use of minerals from his tissues to neutralize toxins:
- History of Tuberculosis, Measles, Whooping cough, Diptheria, repeat subacute infections
- Emotions of grief, being lovesick, problems with self-identification or communication
- A tendency for fever due to inefficient natural immunity
- Mucous and serous elimination which does not improve the condition: Coryza, rhinopharyngitis, bronchitis, Otitis, Leucorrhea, vaginitis
- Tendency for demineralization : Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis
- A tendency for constipation
- Endocrine disorders: sluggish adrenal glands and hyperactive thyroid gland
Finally, the Luetic miasm is characterized by inefficient elimination but using ulceration to release toxins:
- Vascular problems:
- Arteritis or MI of young person, Gangrene, Compromise of capillaries
- Aneurysim, Constitutional varicose veins, Malformation (ex: spina bifida), Hemorrhoids
- Visceral ptosis (dropped organs, hiatal hernia), Ligamentary laxity, Recurring dislocations, Deviation (one side not match the other)
- Bone tissue
- Nocturnal bone pain, Bone caries, bone fistula, osteitis, Very fast decaying teeth
- Aberrant exostosis, Superficial induration, Scoliosis in young person
- Bone and teeth caries, Osteitis
- Osteoporosis of young person, Osteomalacia
- Developmental disorders: dates early or late
- Puberty at 8 or 18 years old
- Age of walking, the teeth, age of speech
- The moron or young fool, the 5 year old genius
- Mucosal membranes and skin: all that is irritating with tendency to deteriorate
- Ulceration, Inflammation, Fistula
- Irritating secretions
- Abscesses in series
The miasm is always in the context of the temperament, which can be easily perceived through
- The individual’s morphology
- Lymphatic: heavy frame, stocky with lots of flesh, can be pudgy, plump, or overweight, obesity
- Sanguine: Moderate frame and build, Elegant statuesque form, with ample flesh
- Bilious: compact, lean, wirey, active sporty type, good muscle tone, definition, broad chest
- Nervous: thin lean body type, knobby, prominent bones and joints, prominent veins, sinews, tendons
- His broad metabolic tendencies
- Lymphatic: Building of the body, anabolism: construction
- Sanguine: Active congestion: hemiplegia, Cerebral congestion, sudden and high fever
- Bilious: liver is master of metabolism, between anabolism & catabolism
- Nervous: Degeneration, destruction, homeostasis not working
- His social behavior
- Lymphatic: assimilates, accumulates, is not afraid of the world, good organizer
- Sanguine: Loves to be social, needs contact, likes to exaggerate
- Bilious: Very efficient, analyzes, must dominate
- Nervous: Intellectual, researcher, big ideas, works by himself
The constitution is treated after much drainage to detoxify the patient by treating the miasm and balance the temperament. The constitutional remedy will act on a very deep level. The practitioner may get a glimpse of the constitution by finding out how the patient reacts when confronted with deep challenges in life. Responses vary in terms of:
- Health and illness
- Takes care of his health matter-of-factly.
- Medications will save me.
- Surgery will save me.
- Life and death
- Life is sacred, to be respected.
- Life is awesome, but abortion may be beneficial.
- Abortion is a method of contraception.
- Conservative, the boss must be respected because he is the boss.
- The boss must be the most learned or the most attractive.
- Respects authority only if he owns it.
- Hoards money, not like to spend, not like to borrow.
- Likes money, invests in beautiful, fashionable things; will borrow if there is a profit..
- Likes money even though he doesn’t have any. Gambles. Will borrow even if can’t repay.
- Is natural, healthy, nothing crazy.
- Means a love life; passionate, romantic.
- Outside the norm, perversity.
- Respects a higher power, needs rituals.
- Looks for an escape from materialistic life in art, religion, New Age.
- Science or man are masters of everything.